You'll find sharing books together can be a good way to connect with your son or daughter. Reading also helps your child's language development and listening skills. As you know, having ASD impacts the way your child reacts to situations and people and how she looks at the world around her.
Children with ASD often have trouble making eye contact and sharing their thoughts with words or gestures. Some children have a very short attention span when being read to or when reading. Try reading for short periods of time, pointing and naming objects as you read.Other children with ASD may read very early and show intense interest in certain subjects and want to read everything they can on that topic. Whether your child has mild or severe ASD, making reading a fun activity can help your child's learning and social skills.
If your child likes routine in his/her day, try reading his/her favorite book to help move him/her from one task to another. For example, reading can set the stage for nap time and bedtime. Work with your child's behavior and/or occupational therapist to learn how reading can help with social skills, new activities, and transitions.
• Applied Behavior Analysis - Cooper, J.O., Heron, T.E. & Heward, W.L.
• Don’t Shoot the Dog - Pryor, K.
• Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program (VB-MAPP) - Sundberg, Mark L.
• Behavior Modification: What it is and how to do it - Martin, G.L. & Pear, J.J.
• Teaching Language to Children with Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities - Sundberg, M.L. & Partington, J.W.
• The Power of Positive Parenting - Latham, G.I.
• The Verbal Behavior Approach - Barbera, M. & Rasmussen, T.
• Ethics for Behavior Analysts -Bailey, Jon & Burch, Mary
• Behavior Modification: Principles and Procedures -Miltenberger, Raymond
• Functional Behavioral Assessment, Diagnosis, and Treatment: A Complete System for Education and Mental Health Settings - Cipani, Ennio & Schock, Keven
• A Practical Guide to Autism: What Every Parent, Family Member, and Teacher Needs to Know, by Fred Volkmar and Lisa Wiesner
• Writing Social Stories with Carol Gray (Book and DVD)